Friday, July 9, 2010

Lifting + Aerobics + Yoga + Sick = Stupid

Stupid.  That is how I feel.  I have been sick since Tuesday with what I thought was a sore throat...though I should have known better since Bill's been sick with a fever and cough since last week.  My sore throat has since moved to my lungs.  So what did I do yesterday?  Dig myself a nice cozy sick bed. 

First I went to the gym at break...around 2 p.m. I think.  I tried to do 20 minutes of intervals on the treadmill as a New Rules warm-up only to be sidelined after 5 minutes with a burning throat and fluid filled lungs.  I then went up to the big boy weight room  to complete Stage 3 Workout B.  This work-out seemed pretty easy....probably because I skipped the required intervals.  I felt pretty good after besides the burning throat and cough, so I thought I would try and catch a Yoga class at Revelation.  I hadn't been back to this studio since the wine tasting extravaganza and I was interested in its Internal Muscle Shift Class

Now, I was completely aware that this class had a cardio component...I figured this would be a fast paced vinyasa flow start similar to Victoria's class.  Boy was I wrong.  Turns out that the cardio portion was a spin on kick-boxing, step-aerobics, weight lifting and a gazillion squats.  All with yoga breathing.  For 45 minutes.  Oh, and Pilates.  Followed by 45 minutes of yoga.  Really.

I should have left.  My lungs were wheezing and I was pretty sure I was going to puke.  This is a yoga studio so no air conditioning...and I, thinking regular yoga, didn't bring any water.  Right.  Can you picture this?  But the ego, despite all I have learned in yoga, is a funny, powerful thing.  So I stayed and I gave the entire class my all.  And despite the fact that I felt like my legs were going to fall off and my lungs were going to collapse, I really enjoyed it (though I will never, ever do it again following a New Rules workout).  I also LOVED the yoga portion.  So much so that I signed up for their 1 month unlimited plan.  I'll be cutting it close to make any of the 6:30 p.m. classes but they said its cool if I am a few minutes late.  Yay!

I actually felt pretty good when I left the class despite having basically lost my voice.  So where does that leave me now?  Today is my vinyasa class with Victoria and tomorrow morning is a long run with my sister-in-law.  I know I could make it through Victoria's class...I am doubtful of the run...but I may, unfortunately have to skip both and try to get into the doctor's today. 

I hate being sick.  I hate being sick and aggravating it even more because I am too stubborn to sit out a few workouts.  I would throw in a 'lesson learned' here except that this is a behavior I repeat pretty consistently...so lets just say 'lesson noted' and leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment