Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Snacks

I am a snacker. Its funny because back in high school and college, I was not a snacker…I was a three meals a day kind of girl.  But alas, the long hours and tedium of a desk job has made me a snacker. I have found that the only way to control this snacking is by making good choices at the right times. So here they are:


Anytime Snacks

I have 2-3 of these a day…generally 1 mid-morning (which for me is 9:30am), one around 2:30 or 3:00pm and one after dinner.

Unsalted Almonds (palm full)
Unsalted Peanuts (palm full)
Homemade Granola Bar
Kashi Bars
Glass of soy milk (regular milk if that’s your thing)
Yogurt (personally this isn’t really high on my list but in general it’s a good snack)
Fruit
Veggies
Quaker Squares (Try a fourth cup mixed with a tablespoon or so of unsalted peanuts!)
Cheese stick wraped in turkey
Iced latte with skim milk or soy milk

Substantial Snacks

So these are my more serious snacks. I tend to workout on my lunch break or at dinner time…which means I eat lunch and dinner way late and I need something to push me through the workouts. These snacks clock in at around 200-300 calories and can be considered mini-meals.

Bigger helping of Quaker Squares with Peanuts
Whole Wheat Crackers with natural peanut butter
Tube of Barney Butter (for light workouts) or Tube of Justin's Nut Butter (for tougher workouts)
Rokit Fuel (I just tried this stuff and I love it! All natural and it has the consistency of muesli with milk…but in a tube)
Homemade Granola Bar with Almond Butter
Big Spoonfull of any kind of nut butter
Banana and peanut butter
Half of a Peanut butter (or almond butter) and jelly sandwich


I would love to hear your ideas for portable, healthy snacks!

No comments:

Post a Comment