Monday, September 27, 2010

Overbooked and Underwhelmed

I have been noticing a trend on a lot of blogs lately: Everyone is overbooked. The result is that no one is enjoying their activities as much as they should be because they are exhausted. People are simply spread too thin.


I do not know how to solve this problem, but I do know that certain priorities have to be set. Now that we are full swing into fall and trying to re-invent our schedules to fit in all of the chaos that revolves around the holidays, we need to focus our energy where it counts. Yes friends, things are going to start to get crazy. You are going to have 8 gazillion Halloween Parties, Sporting Events, Cookie Swaps, Holiday Get-Togethers, Shopping Trips and the like. Just thinking about it makes me excited and terrified at the same time.

So we have to start prioritizing and organizing. Below is my list of priorities. Now, you will notice that spending time with Bill, family and friends are not on that list. This is not because spending time with loved ones isn’t a priority in my life…it is because it is a fact in my life. I wish I could see friends more but I know that that will happen naturally in the next few months through shopping trips, birthdays and holiday get-togethers. What I am talking about here is organizing the time when I am not out being social into productive time, doing things I enjoy that will keep me sane and healthy.

Here is my list:

1) Yoga - as much practice as possible

2) More veggies and protein in my diet

3) More quality miles in my running workouts

4) Increase my long runs to 8 miles

5) Start to love weight lifting again

6) Spend more time working on this blog

I would love to add 7) Read more books; 8) Practice Sanskrit; 9) Train for a half-marathon etc. to that list. In truth though, like everyone else, I have felt spread a little thin. It is time to pare back and focus my time on what matters, to bulk up the quality of my time and make it really count.

I do not want to go through the motion of fitting in as much stuff as possible – I want to choose which activities make me happiest and healthiest and really live in them and enjoy them…I want to be overwhelmed by certain good things, not by too much of everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment