Thursday, June 17, 2010

Life Happens

Yesterday was a bad day.  And you know what I hate about bad days?  Everything gets completely out of whack.  My mental state.  My food choices.  My workout plan.  My alcohol consumption.  Total disaster if I have had a really bad day...like yesterday. 

The day started out great - I had a breakfast of Oats, and Bob's 10 grain, Almond Butter and Jam - and I was pumped to do The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess Stage 2 Workout B at my lunch hour.  Healthy snacks and lunch were packed.  I had a cool post-work networking event to attend (with wine tasting!) ... Wednesday was looking GOOOOOD.  Once I got to work things got a little (very) out of control.  The result?  No workout, no lunch, fake crackers with salami and orange cheese at the networking event, copious amounts of wine and not even an attempt to fit in a yoga session.  I felt like a failure on every level. Ugh.   If I had fit in my workout and ate regular, healthy meals, the day probably would have felt a little better...but that just didn't appear to be an option.  Once I am down and out, all bets are off.  It is a major character flaw.

By the time I got home at 8:45pm and made my teary, wine-drenched entrance into the house, Bill had thankfully made a healthy, well rounded dinner.  Bless him.  And I will say that I felt a million times better with real, wholesome food in my system. 

Today, as they say, I picked myself up by the bootstraps and tried to gain control over my life.  I had a good green smoothie breakfast, I had a self-pity hangover wallow in a pannini for lunch, but then I pulled off a killer New Rules workout during my break.  I'm planning on cramming in a yoga session when I get home and making a nice healthy meal for dinner.

The point of all this?  I want to be honest with you all.  What good is it for me to only post about how virtuous I am.  I think its important to see that part of the process of becoming healthy is the occasional backslide.  And that backslide will not be the end of you (or me).  Life happens ... it is how you react to it that matters.

2 comments:

  1. Lauren - thanks for posting all of this. I've really enjoyed reading your blog in the last few days, and I have a copy of New Rules on the way from Amazon as we speak. I think it's really important to recognize that backslides happen - they're part of life, and they're part of making any sort of change. We set really high expectations of ourselves, but we make the work we're trying to do so much harder by not giving ourselves room to hit some bumps in the process of changing behavior. It's too exhausting to try to do everything perfectly and to make too many changes at once - that's how we get burnout. Keep up the awesome work, and keep giving yourself a break when you have a tough day.
    -Shannon

    ReplyDelete